Far Far Away

life is cool?

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Korea

I don't have any idea about who I am. :)

2004-08-27

What kind of mask are you wearing?



What mask are you wearing? - Incoherent thought about masks

1. Hiding selves
Everybody has his/her own mask. So do I.
Especially when I get angry or I meet a strager, my mask get thicker.
In Phantom of Opera, the mask man, Phatom(I can't remember his name.), hides his mental and physical ugliness with his mask.

2. Ugly selves
Mask seem to have a meaning, such as subconscious or id.
The masks in the movie Peter Shaffer's Amadeus(1984) are very impressive at the masquerade scene. Greediness and jealousy are represented by the masks. That might be a symbol of the characters' personalty and mental state.
3. The beauty of satire
In traditional Korean mask performances, high class characters wear very ugly masks. Some masks have one nostril or a hare-lip. During the hierarchical society in the past, humble classes enjoyed satiring high classes wearing the ugly masks. In the west, heros like Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Zorro, and the mask man in 'Iron Mask' wear all their masks and fight against the rich and greedy classes. That's interesting.
4. But...Looking sad
Venetian Carnival Masks look funny and fancy. However when it comes to be watched thoroghly, their smiles don't look so funny and cheerful. They looked that have someting lost.



Posted by Hello

6 Comments:

Blogger This username does not exist said...

You have some very good observations about the masks.
I like how you noted that they aren't really very "real" smiles - there's an empty expression in their grins.

Joe

3:12 p.m.  
Blogger This username does not exist said...

Hey again! It's Joe.
You know, I'm not necessarily just going to Australia and the other locations - I have been considering Asia too. Could you perhaps recommend some places that are good to see? Well, either way, it's cool.

Have a nice day.
Joe

9:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put on a different mask for each situation and each person, sometimes not even realizing that I am doing so.

1:52 p.m.  
Blogger LemonCloud said...

“Masks” is an essential in life. You need different “masks” to deal with people. It can protect your feelings from being hurt by others. Maybe “masks” is actually natural way to enable us to function and the “masks” we put on is actually part of us. Sort of like “armor”. “Masks” apply to the face but “armor” applies to body.

1:32 p.m.  
Blogger flowerful said...

Yea...I agree with you all. I wear different masks according to the situation. However sometimes I am afraid it would be false self.

11:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in im so sick of love mask so tired of the people who think their cool,well "kick their ass"coz bitches rule....maybe i will just turn of my ear radio!

5:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home